Saturday, September 25, 2010

Santa Monica Pier - END OF ROUTE 66

Leaving at 6:30 in the morning was a wise choice as taking Route 66 down to the Santa Monica Pier and the end of Route 66 took us two and a half hours!  Between traffic and traffic lights at that early in the morning I can only imagine how long it would have taken had we left later. 
As we drove through all the little towns along the way it was really interesting to see the differences between them even though they are only a couple of blocks apart.  We drove through Rialto, Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas, Glendora, Azusa, Irwindale, Duarte, Monrovia, Arcadia and Pasadena.  Arriving on Sunset Boulevard was too cool.  It is very busy with lots to see on both sides of the street – between advertising, gift shops, restaurants and banks it was a little overwhelming.  The best part of Sunset Boulevard was driving around the corners in the residential area.  The homes are unbelievable even though most of them were behind gates – but what we could see they were beautiful.  We passed the legendary Beverley Hills Hotel – too cool.  
As we came over the final crest of the hill and around the corner it was very nice to see finally the ocean and the sand.  The highway travelled along the ocean front and to the Santa Monica Pier where the final end of Route 66 completes our two week long motorcycling tour!  A number of Harley Owner Group riders were there as well and everyone was busy getting a picture of the sign that symbolizes the end of the Route.  Well I passed my camera off to get a picture of me and of course the one of the pictures I wanted did not turn out!  Unbelievable!  As well the other picture of me that I wanted was me standing in the ocean and of course that one didn’t turn out either.  When you want a picture to turn out and you only have one chance at it make sure that the picture actually took before you head off and find out later.  Oh well – I know I was there and hopefully the photographer got a picture of me at the end of the Route. 
Tomorrow I am starting my journey home! 
Mileage to Date:  6159.2 km.  WOW

1 comment:

  1. For whatever reason - my photo's appeared the following day from my camera! Very strange!

    ReplyDelete