Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Road Home - Part 5

Leaving LaPorte, Indiana at 5:30 a.m. was a treat!!  Well it certainly got us on the road early enough way before the sun rose.  We stopped for breakfast just before I headed out on my own.  It was a pleasure riding with such a great guy on my trip across the states.  Four days and three time zones - almost from coast to coast!  What a whirl wind tour that was but it was great having company along the way.

I took Interstate 69 from 80 up to Hwy 12 and across to Interstate 94 to 96 and across Detroit into Canada.  Well to my surprise and amusement when I arrived at the end of the tunnel (yes I said tunnel) I totally shocked the custom agent.  She said to me "how did you get here?"  I said, "I rode my motorcycle here", thinking is this a trick question?  She said, "But how did you get in the tunnel?"  I said, "I just drove."  She was very shocked and asked again, "but how did they let you come through the tunnel as motorcycles are not allowed through the tunnel".  Of course, I started laughing thinking to myself, oh no what have I done? - am I in shit now or what?  She asked how I was able to pay to go through the tunnel. and I just indicated to her that I used my credit card as there was no one at the gate.  She was still very shocked and told me that she had been working there for 10 years and I was the first motorcycle that has ever gone through the tunnel!!  The poor lady - she had me in stitches!  Nervous giggle or completely funny - I wasn't sure which.  I just didn't want anyone unpacking all my bike and then having to put it all back together - it is hard packing a bike when I brought way too much stuff in the first place - and of course all the stuff I bought too!  Too funny - I guess I really confused her and she let me go without further ado!

I headed out of Windsor and of course had to stop in London at Rocky's just to check things out while I was going past.  I didn't see anything there but I gased up and grabbed some lunch and headed back out on the road.  I arrived in Oshawa around 4:00 and gased up again and checked out Mackay's Harley Davidson where there was a hat that I couldn't resist and a couple of things for my niece and nephew!  I had a great chat with the sales lady who definitely wants in on the next trip I go on (Sandra) and she hopes to have a bike next year. 

Leaving Oshawa was the first sign of rain all day - damn and I thought I almost made it without getting wet.  I arrived at Cindy's (my sister) at around 5:45 pm to a warm welcome from Cindy, Kole and Kira.  Kevin is away on training and will hopefully return Friday night.  I don't think Cindy realized all the stories she was in for - as I have lots to tell everyone about.  It is so hard to just keep it to one story as there are so many memories that I can't wait to share with everyone.

Well I have over 10,000 km on my bike since I left and still about 240 km to home!  I will head out in the morning and then I have an appointment at Pete's for servicing just in case the weather turns bad in the next while and I don't get out and about on the bike again for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment