Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Albuquerque, New Mexico and area

Today we had a breakfast meeting with Michael and Suzanne Wallis where they shared some stories and area attractions for the last part of our trip on Route 66.  Michael reminisced about the time that he travelled on Route 66 with the film makers of “Cars” showing them all the highlights and introducing them to all the characters that live on the Route.
After our breakfast meeting we headed up to Santa Fe on Hwy 14.  All I can say is WOW what a view.  I was so amazed with the view that I forgot to stop and take pictures – I am not sure a photograph would do this view justice.  The hills, flat lands, cliffs and landscape were truly amazing. 
We stopped in Madrid which is the site that “Wild Hogs” was filmed at the diner “Maggie’s”.  Maggie’s is not a diner but actually it is a gift shop.  It does still resemble the movie set to some degree – the front, the window and the booth were the guys sat and had a beer.  We then headed off to Santa Fe which is a metropolis in the middle of nowhere!  It is very expensive area – very tourist oriented – but absolutely beautiful.  The craft people were set up in the square and on the sidewalks selling their wares – beautiful pieces of jewellery and art.  On the way back to the hotel we headed back down Interstate 25 which was beautiful – but just a little faster ride going down.  I could get used to this 75 mph speed limit!
The “Thunderbird Harley-Davidson” dealer hosted a party for the entire HOG group providing food and drinks for all.  Of course – it was Mexican food – which is not my favourite but it was still good and much appreciated.
Arriving back at the hotel I lucked out and was able to throw my clothes in the washer (one and only) right away!  The dryer however, was a different story – after 99 minutes of drying the clothes were still not dry and the wait was getting longer.  One of the guys (Michael) asked the front desk if we could use the hotel laundry facilities where they do the towels and sheets.  We got lucky!!  I tell you even after 99 minutes my clothes still took another 15 minutes in a high end dryer that takes a full load of towels 15 minutes.  Crazy!  Oh and by the way – we (Sean, Michael and I) took all the towels out of the dryers and helped the laundry room staff fold towels so we could get at the dryers quicker!  Too funny!
Everyone is so friendly and pitches in when needed. 
Yesterday I travelled 500 km!  Again I didn`t take the mileage tonight!  I was getting tired of running up and down with laundry and packing!  I probably put on 200 km today at least but will check in the morning and get the overall total as well.  This bike has two trip odometers which are really nice – one I can set for the day and one I have set for the overall trip!
Tomorrow we head to Flagstaff, Arizona and it is calling for rain all day!  So I finally get to use my rain gear!  I hope it is not too hot as raingear and hot weather don`t really mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment