Thursday, September 23, 2010

Flagstaff to Kingman Arizona

This morning it was cool leaving Flagstaff.  I decided to have a day on the road by myself (well if you can call it that when there are 300 to 500 bikes coming and going) but I did travel solo today and stopped where I wanted and for how long I wanted.  It was wonderful.  First stop was at the Grand Canyon Harley Davidson dealer where I purchased a neck warmer!  Yes it was that cold.
As I travelled down the road though you could tell it was going to be a beautiful day!  By the time I reached Williams it was already warming up.  Williams is such a nice little town that it has two main streets (two one way streets) that is a must drive.  For anyone that missed driving the east bound route they truly missed a gem!  I was able to ask a fellow rider to take a picture of me on the main street and as usual they are more than willing to lend a hand.
Leaving Williams I headed back out on 40 for about 20 miles until there was another area of Route 66 that was passable.  Entering Seligman you are transformed back to the 50’s.  Every little gas station and gift shop is decked out with memorabilia from actors of the 50’s and 60’s; James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, and Elvis Presley.  The place attracting the most attention was the ice cream shop as the weather had definitely warmed up causing everyone to take layers off down to t-shirts.  The little hallway that is full of business cards, pictures, pins, patches and post cards was just a taste of what the proprietor was like – very eccentric.  He was truly priceless coming up with the craziest sayings and jokes – his door even had knobs on both the left and right side of the door with one saying push and the other pull.  I am sure he kept everyone smiling with all his antics.
Route 66 was spectacular today – the view was amazing and the people are all friendly.  I travelled through Peach Springs, Truxton, Valentine to Hackberry.  In a very small gift shop – which looks to have been a gas station at one point has a never ending photo opportunity of old cars and old signs.  I walked around and took a number of pictures while talking to all the other bikers who were just as amazed as me.
Back on 66 I arrived in Kingman with a smile on my face (surprise).  The hotel has a bike wash thankfully as my bike was a mess from the rain yesterday and the red sand that had washed onto the road from the rain that eventually ended up on not just my bike but every bike that travelled the road today!
The Mother Road Harley Davidson dealer had supper for all of us which was much appreciated.  Chicken, rice, beans and coleslaw was served with a smile.   It is hard to believe that we will be on the last two days of our journey tomorrow.  We arrive in Ontario, California tomorrow and we have arranged to have the “Motoring the Mother Road Camaro” go to the Santa Monica Pier on Saturday morning for a photo opportunity.  How sweet is that – the photographers for our trip have been driving this car along our route and taking lots of photographs that we will be able to see Saturday night at our “Survivor Party”.  Then I am on my own back home!  Not sure which way I will go – or where I will stop but it will all depend on where the nice weather is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment